Ingredients: Serves 6
* 1 cup dried black beans
* 4 cups water
* 6 diced slices of bacon
* 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
* 1/2 stalk celery, finely diced
* 2 baby carrots, grated
* 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
* 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
* 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
* 2 cups chicken broth or water
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 bay leaf
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
# Rinse the beans and add them to a covered container. Pour in the water, cover, and let the beans soak overnight. Drain.
# Fry the bacon until it begins to render its fat in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat.
# Add the green bell pepper, celery, and carrots; sauté for 2 minutes.
# Add the onion; sauté for 3 minutes or until the onions are soft.
# Stir in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
# Stir in the rice and stir-fry until the rice begins to brown.
# Add the drained beans, 2 cups of broth or water, paprika, cumin, chili powder, and bay leaf.
# Lock the lid into place and bring to low pressure; maintain pressure for 18 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow pressure to release naturally. Stir, taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper to taste.