The only mashed potato recipe you need. I like Yukon Gold potatoes, but Russets are good too. Getting to use the slow cooker for the last 3 hours of cook time leaves your stove open for other sides like Maple-Glazed Carrots.
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, or to taste
- 3 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the potatoes, garlic, and bouillon until potatoes are tender but firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving water. In a bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese, adding reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
- Transfer the potato mixture to a slow cooker, cover, and cook on Low for 2 to 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.