The only mashed potato recipe you need. I like Yukon Gold potatoes, but Russets are good too. Getting to use the slow cooker for the last 3 hours of cook time leaves your stove open for other sides like Maple-Glazed Carrots.
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, or to taste
- 3 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the potatoes, garlic, and bouillon until potatoes are tender but firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving water. In a bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese, adding reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
- Transfer the potato mixture to a slow cooker, cover, and cook on Low for 2 to 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
From the Williams Sonoma Thanksgiving cookbook, Sara made these last year. One tip, make lots!
- 3 lbs carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal into 1 inch pieces (or just use baby carrots)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the carrots, stock, maple syrup, and butter. Bring to a brisk simmer and cook, uncovered, until the carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the carrots to a dish. Raise the heat to high and cook the liquid in the pan until it has reduced to about 1 1/4 cups and is syrupy, 30-40 minutes longer.
- Return the carrots to the pan. Add the vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Make-Ahead Tip: This dish can be prepared through the step of reducing the sauce several hours in advance. Return the carrots to the reduced sauce, remove the pan from the heat, and let cool to room temperature. Just before serving, stir in the vinegar and pepper and reheat the carrots just until warmed through.